How to Safely Clear Snow off a Flat Roof?
When snow piles up on the roof and warmer weather sets in with precipitation in the form of rain or sleet, the snow on the roof can get so heavy that the entire structure of your building is in danger. At Couvreurs DM, flat roof specialists in Montreal and Laval (elastomeric membrane, replacement, renovation and repair of residential and commercial roofs), we invite you to read this blog to find out how to safely clear snow off a flat roof.
The Best Way to Safely Clear Snow off a Flat Roof: Call in the Experts
Flat roof snow removal is no easy task when you consider there is heavy snow that is hard to shovel, a danger of falling from heights or getting buried in snow and the risk of injury due to intense cold or overexertion! That is why the Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CNESST) reminds residential and commercial property owners that it is preferable to entrust roof snow removal to experts who know and apply all the techniques to safely clear snow and ice.
Do You Want to Clear Snow off Your Flat Roof Yourself? Read These Tips from True Professionals Before You Start!
Before you jump in to clear snow off your roof, take the time to plan out your work. Here are some recommendations:
- Seek help from someone who can assist you in case of any complications or accident
- Before proceeding, determine the area where you will dump the snow, then fence off access with a barrier or rope
- Use a lifting device instead of a ladder to get up on the roof (if possible)
- Wear a safety harness fastened to an anchor
- Opt for a plastic snow thrower (avoid metal tools)
- Do not remove all the snow: leave a layer of about 15 cm deep to avoid damaging the roofing material.
For greater safety when clearing snow, the CNESST recommends the use of railings and creating a buffer zone at the edge of the roof.
Beware of Unskilled Snow Cleaners Who Can Damage Your Flat Roof
When winter is in full swing, snow cleaners who have no qualifications come out of nowhere. Be vigilant! At Couvreurs DM, we are certified by the CCQ and recommended by Habitation CAA Québec. Roof snow removal is done by a team of specialists who work in complete safety without damaging your property. Call us!